Thursday 3 March 2011

All About Me

Well hello there and welcome to my blog.  Have a seat, get comfortable and make yourself at home.  Hopefully this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship…

Let me tell you a bit about myself…

I am a Scottish (wah-hey!) woman, living in Edinburgh.  I’m really lucky to live in such a wonderful city and am sure I would have found my way here eventually, even if I hadn’t been born here.  I spent a brief period in my early twenties living and working abroad but having met the love of my life at a much earlier age than expected, I just couldn’t stay away from him and ended up returning to Edinburgh where we set up home together and eventually married in 2007. 

Blogging has been on my mind for a while.  In truth I’ve always harboured fantasies about having regular newspaper or magazine column – you know, those women that get paid for writing about their lives, loves and opinions on the world each week.  Given that I never pursued my dream of becoming either a travel writer or a food critic, I think it’s safe to say that neither the Guardian nor even the Scotsman is going to come knocking on my door for hilarious anecdotes or worldly views any time soon.  So blogging it is then!  But what to blog about?  There are a lot of experts out there in cyberspace who tell me that a blog must have a theme and should stick to one subject only.  Food blogs should be about food only, travel blogs likewise… What to choose? Who am I?  What do I do?

Food!  I love cooking and love eating even more.  I love watching cookery programmes, reading cookery books and in the spirit of the most passionate Masterchef contestant, I think about food constantly; always considering ingredients and recipes and I just love feeding friends and family and seeing that look on their face when I know I have hit a flavour combination just right!  I don’t want to just talk about food though.  Aside from anything else, I’ve usually halfway through dinner before I remember that I meant to take a photo of the impressive looking dish.  Plus, there are so many great food blogs out there.  Can I really compete with the likes of the wonderful Kavey Eats or Bon Apetit?

Travel!  I love going places and experiencing new things.  Well, going places and eating new things mainly…  Problem is, I haven’t travelled particularly extensively despite an ever growing must-go list.  We live on a bit of a budget; both get limited holidays from work and the clincher – my parents retired abroad.  Great decision for them.  Means that my choice of holiday destination is now somewhat limited though. 

I’m a film geek!  That’s right.  I’m not ashamed to admit it.  I love film and hubby and I are regularly greeted by staff at the local cinema as if we are old friends.  Yep, if the cinema were a bar in Boston, we would be Norm.  I love most films apart from really scary ones and rom coms.  Unfortunately this makes me somewhat of a pariah amongst fellow female friends.  Knowing how many films I watch, they are constantly trying to get my opinion on the latest Katherine Heigl/Matthew MCaughney/Kate Hudson love fest with the fabulous shoes and oh so cute ickle baby…  They don’t understand when I would rather talk about Almodovar’s vintage work or the sheer awesomeness of the latest comic book adaptation/Frank Miller effort etc.  So could I use my blog to review films?  Well, I may certainly enthuse about a movie I have loved but it’s a rather restrictive topic really, and I don’t want to turn my cinema trips into a chore by feeling that I have to blog after each and every film.

What about books?  I read a lot but not always new titles so not sure if there is an audience out there.  Also, I am already in a bookgroup so have space to share opinions on most of my reading material.

Music is good.  It makes, so a wise woman once said, the people come together.  Personally I listen to anything from hard rock to jazz with a bit of classical thrown in.  My tastes are eclectic and I love discovering new bands.  Can’t really see a blog being shaped around all this though…

Families feature heavily in a lot of blogs.  Personally OH and I are child free.  This is a conscious decision and contrary to popular belief, not one that was taken lightly.  A great deal of the thoughts swirling around my head on any given day tend to revolve around this issue and it is one I am constantly being asked to defend.  Yes, the childfree stance on life may be a regular feature of my blog but I don’t want to restrict my writings to just that.  There are already great blogs out there on this topic, such as Childfree Me and I don’t necessarily want to reinvent the wheel.  Neither do I want to set this out as the very essence of my being and the most interesting thing about me.  Above all I don’t want to attract haters.  I know you can’t please all the people all of the time but I feel us childfree women (never the men) attract a lot of bad press by those who don’t understand our views and I want this blog to be, well, a nicer place than that!

Life is an ongoing struggle.  OH and I live on a tight budget.  We would like nothing better than to move to a bigger, nicer house or even have the money to make our little flat look and feel a bit more homely but with ever rising prices, we are finding things tough.  It certainly doesn’t allow us to travel to the places we want to see or even be able to feast on the food we would like but we are doing our best to get by with the hand which we have been dealt.  Living on a budget could be a good blog theme – it would certainly encompass all the above aspects of our daily life – what we eat, how we travel frugally etc but then, that just brings me back to talking about general life with a bit of all the above elements thrown in from time to time.  Yes, a bit like those magazine columnists really! 

So I guess I’m going to be telling you more about my life and habitual musings.

So, now you have gotten to know a bit about me, I hope you will continue to read and interact with my rambling streams of thought.  Perhaps you will recognise bits of your own life, thirty-something or not. 

Welcome to the world of blog!

3 comments:

  1. Hello,everyone my name is mlmvc from USA i never ever believed in spell until i meet a man called Dr upesa, who help me cast a spell that bring back my ex-lover who left me for one years before our marriage,His spells works beyond my imaginations and today i am happily married two kids and me and my [ex-lover] now husband are very happy more than ever before,what more can i say rather than to say thank you Dr upesa for been there for me,contact him today and your life will never ever remain the same his email is upesalovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I m ANGELINA from RUSSIA,My ex lover now [husband] is back and we are happily married with kids and i m here to gave thanks and appreciation to Dr MAXI the spell caster of maxispelltemple@yahoo.com for all the time He stood by me,for all the truth He make me see,for all the happiness He brought into my life,for all the wrongs He make right,for every of my dreams He make come through and for the help i found in Him,i am grateful and thankful unto Him,He was the one that helped me all,He never let me fall,He was the one that saw me through it all,He was .my source of strength when i was weak,He was my voice when i couldn`t speak,He was my eyes when i couldn`t see,He saw the pain wasn`t good for me,He lifted me were i couldn`t reach,i m everything i m today because You helped me,i m so happy my husband is back in my life at last,His email is maxispelltemple@yahoo.com,A temple were sorrows are dropped and happiness is gain in return.

    ReplyDelete

  3. My name is Lamis Ghazali i am from United States, I was i a relationship with Ben and we loved and cherished ourselves for 6 good years and every thing was going on smoothly but February 14, a day i can call a lovers day we both had misunderstanding because i answered a call from a guy that is asking me out for a date but i refused,and he told me that the relationship is over and that he is fed up with me and i begged him because i love him so much but he refused me i was so down cast and i felt the world has come to an end for me but my friend told me about a Dr OSIAN that helped her sister out in getting her relationship back,a good job and favor in any of her endeavor but at first i was scared but i have to give this man a trial because i love Ben very much and i am not willing to loose him to any woman,so i ordered returning my love spell from this great spell caster that made me a happy woman again to say it all my ex is came back to me with much love and a caring heart...i am testifying to this great Dr OSIAN of Goddess. if you need his help you can contact him on osianspelltemple@yahoo.com


    ReplyDelete